You can find reefer trailers all over the United States. Experts report that there are currently about 500,000 of them being used all over the nation. If you are looking to buy a reefer trailer, you have a lot of options. Some people will only consider new reefer trailers for sale. Other people are interested in used reefer trailers for sale because they cost a lot less. The one drawback to looking at used reefer trailers is you have to spend a lot more time looking at them and researching your options. It is not enough to just look at the wiring, tires, lights, and wheels. You also have to spend some time looking for a responsible and trustworthy seller.
Here are some things you should do when you are looking at used reefer units:
- Start by finding a seller who is trustworthy. Whether you are buying a used car or looking at used reefer trailers, one of the most important things you need to do is find the right place to buy it. In the first place, you will feel better about your purchase if you work with a business with a good reputation. Also, if there are problems, you can go back and get help. Here are some ways to get the right seller to work with:
- Talk to your friends and family. If you work in an industry where the use of reefer trailers is common, you probably know someone who has bought a used reefer trailer. Talk to people you know who have bought one and see how they found it, where they bought it, and what the experience was like.
- Look online. You should try to go with a company that has been around a while and has a track record of selling quality items.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau. If the business you are thinking about buying from has a lot of complaints, you should keep looking.
- Inspect the floor. You can learn a lot about a floor by walking on it. You should check out all of the corners. You should look to see if there is anything that may be damaged or loose. You should look to see if there is any damage made by forklifts. You need to look at the floor by the back doors. The rear bogie floor area needs to be looked at for problems and cracks.
- Inspect the trailer for leaks. All used reefer trailers need to be looked over to make sure there are no leaks in the roof. One great way to do this is to inspect the reefer trailer on a bright and sunny day. Slip inside and close the doors. Does the space light up from holes in the ceiling? Does the sun stream through cracks in the corners, floor, or seals? If yes, keep looking. This is not the trailer you are looking for.
- Get down underneath the trailer. This may not be the most fun part of shopping for used reefer trailers but is a good way to find any corrosion, damage, rust, or fractures.
- Do not forget to look over the reefer unit. You need to make sure there are no damaged or fraying belts or oil leaks. Make sure the freon level is at the right spot. Start the engine and let it run for a while. Listen to the engine. Make sure it is in compliance with any state regulations for states you may travel to or through.
- Check the weight. Get the weight specs but also take some time to use a scale to see the actual weight. Sometimes, water finds a way into the panel skins. This can add hundreds of pounds to the trailer’s weight. The real problem with this is that when a vehicle weighs more, it takes more fuel to move. More fuel costs more money. You do not want to blow all the money you save by buying a used reefer trailer on fuel to cart around excess water weight.
When you are looking at used reefer trailers, it is possible to get the right one if you take some time and do some research.